10. Consistency of Product: The way we grow will insure that the customer gets fresh, crisp healthy vegetables every time -- and no ugly vegetables!
9. Less food waste: Just-in-time harvesting means no product sits around getting old and in need of a new grocery store home.
8. Aesthetically pleasing images: Food grown hydroponically is beautiful.
7. Consistent supply to local restaurants: Fresh, crisp greens available year-round!
6. Healthy options for local folks: Urban Fresh Farms welcomes community members to its retail space. Crisp, fresh, healthy food options can bring in even the most reluctant eater.
5. Locally grown: Urban Fresh Farmers are your neighbors growing for you.
4. Less water use: An MIT study from 2015 claims that growing hydroponically "limits the threat of water waste via over- or poorly-timed irrigation (water loss due to evaporation), and therefore limits freshwater habitat abuses" ("Benefits," 1).
3. Local jobs: Your neighbors, friends, and family will be working here.
2. Carbon footprint reduced: Because Urban Fresh Farms is near the end user, trucks will not need to haul vegetables across the country. According to a July 2003 report from the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture, food often travels some 1500 miles from where it is grown to where it is sold (see Figure 2, above).
1. Up to 2 weeks fresher: Urban Fresh Farms provides fresh vegetables to local restaurants within hours of harvest. Customers can even take home live lettuce and harvest it when they are ready to serve it!